- Posted by agency-it
- On March 7, 2019
- 0 Comments
One of the finishing touches that can make a house a home is attractive landscaping. Not only does it up the curb appeal, but landscaping also adds character and interest to your home. An easy way to instantly add style and personality to your house is to install landscape pathways.
What’s great about pathways is that they fuse character and function together. A well-designed pathway can be arranged in a myriad of different styles depending on your personal aesthetic, material choice, and budget. Here are some ideas to turn your front yard into a masterpiece.
Interesting Pathway Designs
The possibilities are endless when designing pathways. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Stepping Stones: Stepping stones give your path a whimsical feel. This design looks fantastic in a garden setting. You can even do stepping stone stairs if your front yard is on a hill or incline.
- Mosaic: With a mosaic design, you can use different stones and materials to create intricate designs. Concrete etching or flagstones can create this effect.
- Secret Paths: Whatever shape or material you decide on, let the vegetation next to your path grow tall. This makes your path look natural, wild, and slightly hidden, perfect for those who love to garden.
- Patterns: Patterns are a surefire way to add character to your path. Use bricks to create zig-zags. Stones spaced with gravel or grass for geometric patterns is also an attractive look.
- Framed Paths: This versatile design frames your pathway, no matter what material you choose. If you use brick, use a different color brick on the borders. Create a brick or stone frame for stepping stones. You can also frame paths with water or vegetation.
Before you begin any landscape pathways projects, there are a few decisions you’ll need to make. First off, any designs you may be considering should complement the style of your home. A Mediterranean style walkway leading to an English cottage might clash.
- Think about your needs such as accessibility and cost constraints. Some other things to consider include:
- What kind of material are you interested in?
- Do you want your pathway to have lighting?
- Will you have a solid pathway?
- Will your pathway be straight or curved?
Choosing Your Materials
Your materials will be determined by your budget, design specifications, and personal aesthetic. For example, if you need to have your pathway solid to help people easily access your front door, concrete may be the way to go. The concrete walkway cost is typically between $6 to $12 per square foot but can be more if you get an elaborate decorative finish.
Flagstone is another option particularly if you want a patchwork or stepping stone design. The flagstone walkway cost is a bit more than concrete. You’re looking at anywhere between $15 to $20 per square foot.
While concrete and flagstone are arguably the most popular materials, gravel and brick are other popular options. Whatever material you end up going with, make sure before you buy that your material fits in with the rest of your home’s landscape aesthetic.
Once you have the shape of your pathway configured, add some flourishes that make the walkway uniquely yours. Some of the best little touches you can add include:
- Slip-resistant finishing
Get an Estimate for Your Walkway in
If you’re interested in adding landscape pathways to your property, get in touch with Plant Professionals. We are experts in both residential and commercial landscape design and can work with you to craft the pathway of your dreams. Contact us today to discuss your project and get a free estimate.